What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a fat-like substance produced mainly by the liver. Your body produces about 80% of the cholesterol needed to maintain vital physiological functions such as the synthesis of steroid hormones and vitamin D, as well as bile acids required for the metabolism of lipids and fat-soluble vitamins. The other 20% of cholesterol is obtained through the diet when you consume foods from animal sources.
How cholesterol is transported in your blood?
Since cholesterol is minimally soluble in the blood, it is transported by low-density lipoproteins (LDL) or high-density lipoproteins (HDL). Scientific research has shown that excessive amounts of cholesterol transported by low-density lipoproteins; commonly known as LDL-cholesterol or “bad cholesterol”, is one of the main risk factors for cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis, heart attack and stroke.
What causes high LDL- cholesterol?
Studies have shown that high LDL- cholesterol levels are linked to the consumption of industrial trans fats and a diet very high in saturated fats, refined carbohydrates and sugars.
What are the recommended cholesterol levels in adults?
Total cholesterol: less than 200mg/dL
LDL-cholesterol: less than 100 mg/dL
HDL-cholesterol: greater or equal to 40 mg/dL
How does NutraStat™ Cereal and Drink Mix help you to reduce LDL-cholesterol?
NutraStat™ Cereal and Drink Mix are carefully formulated to contain barley beta-glucan in the right proportions to help you fight high cholesterol levels. Several scientific research studies have demonstrated that barley beta-glucan increases the viscosity of the mucosal surface of the intestine and binds to bile acids reducing their reabsorption to the liver. Consequently, the liver synthesizes new bile acids from cholesterol, reducing blood circulating (LDL) cholesterol concentrations.
How many servings do I need to consume in order to get the health benefit?
You will need to consume at least 3 grams of barley beta-glucan per day. That means 1 serving of NutraStat™ Cereal and 2 servings of NutraStat™ Drink Mix/day. However, if you want to consume more, you can do it!
How does NutraStat™ Cereal and Drink Mix compare to statins?
Although statins are widely popular drugs that regulate blood cholesterol levels, their mechanism of action is not natural.
Statins block the normal action of the enzyme responsible for producing cholesterol in the liver. This antinatural process generates toxicity, inflammation and damage to the liver. Other side effects include increased muscle and joint pain, fatigue and increased risk of diabetes mellitus.
NutraStat™ Cereal and Drink Mix in contrast, promote a more physiologically-based rebalancing process by trapping and eliminating excess of cholesterol.
What changes should I make in my diet that complement my NutraStat™program to maintain and/or improve healthy cholesterol levels?
Avoid or cut back:
Foods that contain industrial trans fats made with hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils (margarines and shortenings) such as pastries and baked goods.
Processed and ready-to-eat frozen foods that are usually high in saturated fat and other unhealthy ingredients.
Refined and rapidly digestible carbohydrates such as instant grains (oatmeal and rice), puffed breakfast cereals, gluten free foods made with refined starches (potato, tapioca, corn, rice, etc), rice noodles, white bread, boiled and mashed potatoes, soda crackers and pancakes.
Sugars: white/brown sugar, glucose corn syrup, maltodextrin, high-fructose corn syrup, invert sugar, fruit juice concentrates, malt sugar, molasses, syrup sugar molecules ending in "ose" (dextrose, fructose, glucose, maltose, sucrose).
Consume in moderation:
Animal-based sources of saturated fat such as meat, cheese, butter and cream.
Foods high in polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids: mackerel, salmon, herring, sardines, tahini, flax seeds, chia seeds, pine nuts and walnuts.
Monounsaturated fats: avocados, almonds, cashews, peanuts, and oils including cold pressed olive oil, safflower oil, and avocado oil.
Foods made with whole grains: brown rice, wild rice, buckwheat, bulgur, millet.
Legumes and pulses: beans, peas, lentils, fava beans and chickpeas.
Green vegetables: arugula, spinach, chard, kale, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, watercress.
Tell me more about NutraStat™
Source of fiber
Free from synthetic ingredients
Beta-glucan is derived without chemicals
Made from Canadian barley
Natural Origin/Natural obtention process